Almost nothing has been preserved of the architecture inaugurated in 1565, as the temple underwent a total reform at the end of the 17th century, to which a later decoration based on rock gardens and symbols of the order on the hanging pendentives was added.
The façade, with strictly classicist lines, was completed in 1638 by the stonemason Juan Garzón. Some paintings by the Loquine painter Camacho Felices are interesting, as well as the set of Baroque altarpieces housed in the head of the building. The high altarpiece is worthy of special mention. It was commissioned by Ginés López in 1694.
The two main altarpieces in the transept, both attributed to Jerónimo Caballero, are dedicated to San Antonio and to Vera Cruz y Sangre de Cristo. They were dated around the fourth decade of the 18th century.
The small altarpiece on the Gospel side contains the image of the Virgen de los Dolores, head of the Hermandad de Labradores (Paso Azul), a work by the Valencian José Capuz from 1941.
How to Arrive?
- Costa Cálida Región de Murcia