The Basílica de la Purísima Concepción also called "New Church" (Iglesia Nueva) was built in two stages. The first one, wich started in 1775, was undertaken by José López, who designed the building plans. In the second stage wich took place after a period of disruption, Jerónimo Ros resumed the work to finally accomplish it in 1868, after having taken on the erection of the emblematic Basilica dome.
Although it is an example of the neoclassical architecture, the Basílica might be taken for a 16th century building due to its magnificence. The temple has a Latin-cross plan with three naves separated by pointed arches with a semi-spherical banked dome above the transept nave and chapels in the buttresses annexed to the Capilla de la Comunión (Communion Chapel). The central nave is 50 meters in length and the transept nave is 40 meters.
The semi-spherical dome stands out with its blue and white glazed tile forming a spiral pattern. The altar is made in marble and its frontal depicts the Multiplication of the loaves of bread and fish. The Pulpit, which is the original one, has been restored and is now located in the central nave, on the Epistle Side.
Access to the temple is through three entrances, two side-facing entrances at the end of the transept nave with similar frame. One of them having a great stained glass window and the other one a staircase because of the ground unevenness. This one was originally thought to be the main façade.
The Communion Chapel, wich is also Neoclassical style, displays on its façade a great high-relief medallion. It is worth highlighting the altarpiece that portrays the Sacred Heart as well as a crucifix statue by José Esteve Bonet.
The image of the Virgen de las Angustias, made by the famous sculptor Francisco Salzillo stands out too.
Late 18th century
Monday - Saturday: 7:30am - 12:00pm / 6:00pm - 9:00pm Sundays: 9:30am - 1:00pm / 6:00pm - 9:00pm