The Sacred Heart of Jesus in Mazarrón, located on the Santa Catalina hill, was the first to be erected in the Region of Murcia, blessed and inaugurated in May 1924.
It was destroyed during the Civil War (1936-1939), and rebuilt in 1952 thanks to donations made by the people of Mazarrón, who brought together the necessary 18.000 pesetas.
This type of large sculpture can be found in the majority of Catholic countries since 1899 when Pope Leo the 13th consecrated the whole Catholic world to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. In Spain this took place in May, 1919, when King Alfonso XIII attended the consecration at the Sacred Heart in Cerro de los Ángeles (Madrid).
Since then, the entirety of the Spanish geography has been dotted with the construction of these sculptures.