MONUMENTS

Sacred Heart of Jesus of Mazarrón

INFORMATION

The Sacred Heart of Jesus in Mazarrón, located on the Santa Catalina hill, was the first to be erected in the Region of Murcia, blessed and inaugurated in May 1924.

It was destroyed during the Civil War (1936-1939), and rebuilt in 1952 thanks to donations made by the people of Mazarrón, who brought together the necessary 18.000 pesetas.

This type of large sculpture can be found in the majority of Catholic countries since 1899 when Pope Leo the 13th consecrated the whole Catholic world to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. In Spain this took place in May, 1919, when King Alfonso XIII attended the consecration at the Sacred Heart in Cerro de los Ángeles (Madrid).

Since then, the entirety of the Spanish geography has been dotted with the construction of these sculptures.

CONTACT DETAILS

Monte Santa Catalina junto a Jardín Miguel Ángel Blanco
30870 MAZARRÓN
Telephone: +34 968 59 44 26
e-mail: turismo@mazarron.es
http://www.visitamazarron.com/

See map

ÉPOCA

20th Century

USO

Public

UBICACIÓN


En Mazarrón

Subscribe to our newsletter