The Sanctuary Convent of San Esteban, outside the old quarter of Cehegín, is a group of buildings comprising a monastery, cloister, chapel and church. The convent has three naves with a choir loft at the base. The pilasters of the central nave are of Corinthian order and those of the transept of composite order. In the 18th century it was extended by adding the Chapel of San José, in neoclassical style and located to the left of the transept, it has a Latin cross floor plan and a Baroque altarpiece on the main altar. It has a 17th century cloister enclosed with large windows and semicircular arches, with a garden and a well in the central part.
Inside the church, the Camarín, which houses the image of the patron saint of Cehegín, the Virgen de las Maravillas, an 18th century sculpture by the Neapolitan artist Nicola Fumo, stands out, as does the impressive Churrigueresque altarpiece that frames it. It is octagonal in shape and is covered with carved wood in the neoclassical style. The dome is crowned by a magnificent rose window.
It has recently been completely restored and a red jasper doorway has been installed where there used to be a plaster one, demolished in the 1940's. It has been declared a national monument.