The Franciscan convent of San Esteban, located outside the old part of the town of Cehegín, consists of a complex of buildings that includes: monastery, cloister, chapel and church, and dates from the late 16thcentury.
It was declared Monumento Histórico-Artístico Nacional ("Historic-Artistic Monument of National Interest¿) in 1976 and it is considered a characteristic piece of the Murcian Baroque style.
The convent is made of three naves with a high choir at its base. The pilasters of the naves are of Corinthian order and those of the transept are of composite order. In the 18thcentury the convent got extended through the building of the Neoclassical chapel of San Jose, situated on the left of the transept. This chapel has a Latin cross plan and its high altar shows a Baroque altarpiece.
In the church, it is worth highlighting the camarín (a little chapel behind the High altar) where can be seen the statue of the Patron Saint of Cehegin, the Virgen de las Maravillas, a religious image from the 17th century made by the Napolitan artist Nicola Fumo. This piece of art makes stand out the amazing churrigueresque altarpiece that frames it. This octagonal-shaped Camarín is covered with carved wood in consonance with the Neoclassical style. The dome is crowned by an awesome rose window. It has been recently fully restored as a red-jasper façade was built where before there was a plaster one that was demolished in the 1940's. It has been declared a national monument.