Nuestra Señora de la Caridad disembarked in Cartagena on the 17th April 1723, which was a Saturday. Afterwards, there was a big drought that was solved by Nuestra Señora in a radical way. On the 7th April 1761, a vow to celebrate the public holiday of Viernes de Dolores was taken. On the 23rd February 1762, it was agreed to add the offering of an ounce of gold to the patron saint.
The temple of La Caridad was built between 1890 and 1893, and it was opened on the 10th September 1893 by the bishop Tomás Bryan y Livermore. It has a neoclassical style with a magnificent dome of 33 metres high. It is decorated by the paintings of W de Guimbarda.