For centuries, a natural cavern carved out by the River Segura 5km from the town of Calasparra has been home to the Virgen de la Esperanza or Our Lady of Hope. According to legend, the small religious image was found inside the cave by a shepherd seeking refuge. When the religious authorities from Calasparra tried to move the carving to one of the churches in the town, the image became extraordinarily heavy in relation to its size. This was taken to mean that the Virgin wished to be worshipped in her grotto. A larger, baroque sculpture was placed next to the original image (a small wood-carved bust of the Virgin Mary known as "La Pequeñica" or the ¿Little One¿) and, according to documents found, both have been worshipped together, the small one at the feet of the larger one, since 1786.
Oficina Municipal de Turismo de Calasparra
Edificio Casa Granero 14
Tlf.: 968 745 325
Fax: 968 745 325